Smartwatches are definitely the trend, or at least trying to become the trend. But for the most part they are all bluetooth accessories to smartphones. Today Timex has announced a watch that has it’s own connection (meaning you won’t need your phone for it to work). Check out the Timex Ironman GPS One smartwatch. More information below (from the official press release).
TIMEX® IRONMAN® ONE GPS Smartwatch Features and Details
Providing new solutions for fitness activities and for any other instance when carrying a phone is not ideal, TIMEX® IRONMAN® ONE GPS+ includes a series of game-changing features, including:
- Stand-alone wireless connectivity without a phone
- Email-based messaging capabilities
- Tracking capabilities that communicate the user’s location to friends and family anytime, anywhere
- Custom-built “Find Me Mode” safety solution, which allows users to send an alert with exact location in case of an emergency
- Ability to track speed, distance and pace in real-time and instantaneously share performance metrics through your favorite social media and online fitness platforms
- Water resistance up to 50 meters, an essential feature for water exposure, training in the rain or swimming
- Built-in MP3 component with 4 GB of memory to play music via a Bluetooth headset
- Always-on, sunlight-readable, high-resolution touch display
- One year of data connectivity by AT&T included for U.S. and Canadian subscribers
“Wearables, including smartwatches, is an emerging category that holds significant promise for Qualcomm, and we are very pleased to have worked with Timex and AT&T on the development of the IRONMAN® ONE GPS+ sports watch and delivery platform,” said Derek Aberle, President of Qualcomm Incorporated. “The watch combines the human wrist ergonomics expertise of Timex with proven Qualcomm technologies and will provide fitness enthusiasts with a truly unparalleled design and connected experience.”
It looks similar to the Qualcomm Toq smartwatch. The TImex Ironman One will have a similar display to the Toq. I do like that you can run with just the watch since it works with popular running apps. You can also use it as a music player. You also get one year of free AT&T service with the purchase of the watch.
There’s no exact date on when the watch would ship, but you can pre-order it right now for $399.95/ on timex.com .It will be available for purchase this fall at timex.com, att.com, AT&T stores, and sports specialty and electronic stores. .
What do you think about the watch?